|Home :: Building Database :: Extras :: Search :: Map||You are here Architecture Kings Lynn Norfolk PE30|
Photograph courtesy of the Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Photograph courtesy of the Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk. Photograph taken by David Pitcher.
There's not much left of the place the Greyfriars once called home. Most of it was torn down long ago. But the tower remains, and is a symbol of pride for the people of King's Lynn and the surrounding area. The tower was part of a large friary -- one of several in the area. At one time King's Lynn was the third largest port in the country, making it an important center of trade and transportation, and there were four different orders of monks based here. Today only the Greyfriars' tower stands tall -- not because they were more venerated that the others, but because of its location it helps mariners find their way. The other 60 or so friaries were not so lucky. Just three remain in all of England.
>~1230 - The Greyfriars establish a friary at what was then known as Bishop's Lynn.
>1538 - The friary is torn down by Henry VIII's soldiers.
>1911 - The gardens surrounding the tower are laid out for the coronation of King George V.
>2003 - The Greyfriars Tower is entered in a television contest where historic landmarks compete for millions of pounds in restoration money. It does not win.
Rate This Tower
method='post' action='/Building.php?ID=261#Rate'>Current rating: 70% name='Rating' id='Rating' value='Praise' class='Plain'> name='Rating' id='Rating' value='Raze' class='Plain'>
There is one comment.
In 1921 a Public Liabary and War Memorial were built on the site where Greyfriars towers stands.
D Harris - Monday, May 30th, 2005 @ 11:59am
|LACU Community||LACU Extras||LACU Tools||LACU Sister Sites|